Tuesday 9 February 2010

Old style film noir mixed with sci-fi conspiricy, what more could you want?


"Danger is like jello, there's always room for a little more" - Tex

The Pandora Directive was the last of the Tex Murphy games I needed to play the only other that I've not yet completed being Martian Memorandum because I keep getting stuck on dead ends halfway through >_<. If you ask most adventure gamers though Pandora Directive is generally considered the best game in the series and after completing it for my first time I'd probably have to agree. The game has loads of different ending (about 8 I think) and I got a fairly middle of the road ending on 'Lombard Street' so it wouldn't hurt to do another play through and see some of the alternative paths, maybe even set it on the 'Gaming difficulty' to try and get the extra points. While we're on the subject of point I think I need to mention that my final score was terrible :( I mean really bad... My problem is that Pandora Directive has a lot of Myst style puzzles and whilst I managed to figure most of them out I just didn't feel like I had the time to decipher them so once I noticed the pattern and realized what I needed to do I used the skip function so save me from having to do the donkey work. The negative side of this of course being that each time you do this you lose about 200 points so my final score was about 15 out of 800 or whatever, at times I was actually in minus score as low as -30.

The Exploration is what make the Tex Murphy games shine through for me as you can click on practically anything in any given room and Tex always puts his own humorous spin on things. It's quite a long game too spanning 6 disc's which isn't uncommon for an FMV game but this doesn't use the FMVs as often as some so it allows for a lot more gameplay. Yes before you run a mile this is an FMV game but its actually one of the few good ones that is worth playing.

I really enjoyed the story of Pandora Directive, if you've ever played a Tex Murphy game before you will be familiar with the setup, Tex gets a new case, seems small but soon snowballs into a global conspiracy that threatens life as we know it. In this case its all about the alien landing in Roswell and other popular conspiracy theories, I wont go into it too much as It's pointless spoiling it for people who haven't played it yet but there are a fair few twists and turns along the way that caught me off guard at least. Anyway, I'm assuming most of you wont have played this game and its now for sale on GoG I Believe, so you should really go try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment